Do you ever get headaches from certain smells, even if they're very "subtle"? I absolutely do. Especially strong potent smells. Most of the smells that give me a headache come from synthetic fragrances. These are chemically made fragrances that are meant to mimic a natural scent.
These synthetic fragrances have been linked to autoimmune disorders, Alzheimer's disease, dementia and even cancer. Although it's difficult to get away from synthetic fragrances all together, it is possible create a lifestyle to minimize one's exposure to synthetic fragrances.
Inhaling different essential oils can improve one's mood and purify there are of unwanted smells and odors. It's also the safest way to use essential oils. Listed below are just a few examples of how essential oils can help:
- Inhaling peppermint oil can help boost energy levels
- Inhaling lemon oil can help decrease nausea
- Inhaling orange oil can help with depression
When creating blends, rotate the essential oils. You can make calming blends as part of your night time routine or invigorating blends as a wonderful way to start the day. To fully enjoy the experience of essential oils, try one or more of the four ways to enjoy the smell of essential oils:
- Diffusers: Add water to the fill line then add 5-7 drops of oil in the water. Place the diffuser on a cloth of some sort to absorb any oil and to not damage your furniture.
- Opening up a bottle and smelling the scent.
- Cupping: put a drop in your hand, rub your hands and place by your nose and take a deep breathe. Great for anyone who needs support with nausea, anxiety and stress.
- Spritzer: You can create hand sanitizers or create personalized perfume by mixing oils with a carrier oil.
If you have children or pets, make sure you always use a diffuser in a ventilated room. You don't want to lock the smell in a room because it can agitate them.
These are just a few ways to enjoy the smell of essential oils. Let me know below, which way you want to try next time.
P.S. If you're interested in learning more about essential oils and learning how to use them safely and effectvely, join my How to Oils facebook group.
- “Safety and Usage.” DōTERRA Essential Oils, 20 Mar. 2018, www.doterra.com/US/en/blog/science-for-kids-safety-and-usage.
- Zielinski , Dr. Eric. “Essential Oils for Abundant Living Masterclass: Lesson 2.” YouTube, YouTube, 9 Jan. 2018, www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_D4iNnUJnM.