Recently, I saw a YouTube video about a garden in the United Kingdom that is filled with poisonous plants. All of the plants can cause some kind of harm and even death if ingested.
The garden has become a tourist destination because of the different kind of plants in it.
This made me think about how when we hear the word "Natural", we automatically think it's safe. I don't know why that is...maybe it's because we blindly trust cosmetic companies, but the fact of the matter is that the word "Natural" doesn't mean safe.
In today's vlog I'm going to talk about 4 NATURAL ingredients that are actually toxic and should NOT be in your skincare.
- Petroleum: Petroleum is used a moisturizer and is linked to cancer. It can be found in baby products, cosmetics and skincare. Petroleum can be labeled as...
- Mineral oil
- Liquid paraffin
- Lead: Lead is known to be carcinogenic but it can still be found in foundations and lipsticks. Lead is linked with miscarriages, infertility and cancer. Lead can be labeled as...
- ACETIC ACID, LEAD SALT; LEAD DIACETATE; LEAD SALT ACETIC ACID; PLUMBOUS ACETATE; ACETATE DE PLOMB (FRENCH) ; BLEIACETAT (GERMAN) ; DIBASIC LEAD ACETATE; LEAD DIACETATE; LEAD DIBASIC ACETATE; LEAD (2+) ACETATE; LEAD (II) ACETATE
- Mercury: Mercury can be found in your cosmetics and it helps to lighten your skin. Mercury is highly toxic and is linked to cancer. Mercury is labeled as...
HG; MERCURY, DISSOLVED; MERCURY, TOTAL; COLLOIDAL MERCURY; HYDRARGYRUM; KWIK (DUTCH) ; LIQUID SILVER; MERCURE (FRENCH) ; MERCURIO (ITALIAN) ; MERCURY (ACGIH:OSHA) ; MERCURY FUME
- Coal Tar: This ingredient can be found in dandruff shampoos, psoriasis shampoos and hair dyes. Coal Tar is high cargenogenic and should not be in your hair products. Coal Tar can be labeled as...
- COAL TAR SOLUTION; TAR, COAL; CARBO-CORT; COAL TAR SOLUTION USP; COAL TAR, AEROSOL; CRUDE COAL TAR; ESTAR (SKIN TREATMENT) ; IMPERVOTAR; KC 261; LAVATAR; PICIS CARBONIS
So again, just because something is labeled natural, that doesn't mean it's safe. Natural ingredients can be just as toxic just as the poisonous garden. It's very important that you educate yourself and understand what ingredients are being placed in your products.
Your homework for this week is to throw out any products you have that may contain these ingredients and replace them with quality safe products.
P.S. Here's the video on the poisonous garden